Our beef bourguignon recipe is guaranteed to get mouths watering. With a rich, red wine sauce and lots of hearty vegetables, this classic French dish never fails to impress. We love the combination of button mushrooms and pickling onions, which become super soft and tender once slow cooked. When made with fresh ingredients and quality beef, you’ll have a hard time saying no to a second helping.
- 1.5kg beef chuck steak, trimmed, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 16 small pickling onions, peeled (see tip)
- 400g small button mushrooms
- 200g shortcut rindless bacon, halved lengthways, cut into 1cm strips
- Green beans, to serve
- Mashed potato, to serve
- Salt, to season
- In a large, heavy-based casserole dish, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over a medium heat. Add beef in batches and cook for 5-6 minutes or until browned. Remove from the dish and transfer to a bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium and heat the remaining oil in the dish. Add bacon and brown onion. Cook for 6 minutes or until the onion softens, stirring regularly. Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Transfer beef and juices back to the pan. Pour in wine and bring to the boil. Add tomato paste and stock. Bring to the boil. Turn heat down to low and allow to simmer, covered, for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. From there, add mushrooms and pickling onions. Cook for another 30 minutes or until the onions and meat are tender. Use salt and pepper to season.
- Serve alongside mashed potato and green beans to truly spoil your guests. They won’t be able to resist.
Treat your friends and family
This beef bourguignon recipe is fantastic if you’re looking to keep warm during the colder months. Why? Because it’s so hearty and comforting. The best news of all is that the cooking process couldn’t be more simple. After a little bit of prep work and chopping, you’ll be browning your meat and cooking your ingredients briefly, before combining everything and allowing it to slow cook in the one pot. This process helps to create the rich, indulgent flavour that everyone will love. The best news of all? You won’t be stuck washing dishes all night long!
Shop online with us for premium beef
To bring all sorts of amazing recipes to life, be sure to shop online with Our Cow. We supply high quality beef to customers throughout Australia. Our team prides itself on farming in a way that is ethical and sustainable, delivering the best of the best to hungry cooks and families. Look to us for preservative free, hormone free and antibiotic free cow beef that tastes delicious. Got a question? Feel free to get in touch via email or phone.