Looking to stay warm during winter? Soup not quite hitting the spot? Try this beef casserole recipe! It’s a fantastic option for weeknight dinners and can just as easily be served on special occasions to impress guests. Treat your taste buds to something truly divine by following the steps below.
To bring this beef casserole recipe to a dinner table near you, you’ll need to get your hands on the following ingredients:
- 1kg chuck or boneless shin/gravy beef
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 small carrots, finely diced
- 2 small celery stalks, sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or small sprigs of rosemary or parsley
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 3 large potatoes, peeled, cut into large dice
- 1-2 bay leaves (fresh or dried)
This recipe is easy to follow. It involves some basic preparation work and then all of the cooking takes place in one pot. It’s that simple.
- Start by preheating your oven to 180°C. Cut beef into small cubes and season with salt and pepper. Add 2 tbsp of oil and mix well with your hands. Brown the beef in batches using a large frying pan on high heat. Once browned, transfer each batch of beef into a casserole dish.
- Turn heat down on the pan and add a little oil along with carrots, celery and onion. Cook for approximately 1-2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Sprinkle in flour and stir vegetables until fully coated. Pour in stock gradually and stir in tomato paste. Add herbs and potato, stirring everything well until the mixture boils. Add to the casserole dish and stir to combine. Place a lid on your casserole dish and put in the oven, allowing to cook until the beef is very tender. Stir every 40 minutes or so, and ensure that the ingredients are slightly covered at all times by adding water as required.
Why this beef casserole is so special
We love a hearty meal as much as anyone, and this beef casserole recipe ticks all the right boxes. When it comes to flavour, the beef stock, tomato paste, onion, carrots and celery all combine perfectly to create a wonderfully rich taste. Add in some yummy potatoes, herbs and seasoning, and you’ve got a combination that won’t be beaten easily. The best thing about this dish is that it’s easy to cook and super satisfying.
We sell quality beef online
If you want to cook this beef casserole recipe, then we can help. Our Cow supplies premium beef to customers all throughout Australia and does so in a way that is ethical and sustainable. We are passionate about reconnecting shoppers with local farmers and want to ensure that everyone has access to the best produce. All of the meat that we provide is pasture raised and hormone free. That means no nasty antibiotics and no factory farms. Just delicious tasting, responsibly raised beef that you will love. Contact us to find out more.