Massaman Beef Curry Recipe
If you love a hearty beef curry that tastes fantastic, then this recipe is for you. It’s flavourful, fragrant and super easy to make. The best news of all, however, is that this winner can be served all year round so you never have to go without. Trust us when we say there won’t be any leftovers!
Get your hands on these wonderful ingredients and you’ll be well on your way to massaman beef curry heaven. You’ll need:
- 600g stewing beef steak cut into large chunks
- 450g waxy potatoes, cut into 2½ cm chunks
- 85g unsalted peanuts
- 1 onion, cut into thin wedges
- 4 kaffir lime leaves (available from supermarkets or Thai shops)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced, to serve
- 4 tbsp massaman curry paste
- 1 tbsp palm or soft light brown sugar
Everyone loves when a tasty dish is simple to make, and that’s why this massaman beef curry is so popular. Follow the steps below and you can’t go wrong:
- Heat oven to 180°C and roast peanuts on a greased baking dish for five minutes, or until they change colour to golden brown. Once cool enough to touch, roughly chop with a sharp knife. Turn oven down to 160°C.
- In a large casserole dish, heat 2 tablespoons of coconut milk (including the cream on top). Pour in curry paste and fry for one minute, then add in the beef and fry until properly coated and sealed.
- Stir in the remaining coconut plus half a can of water, the potatoes, lime leaves, cinnamon, onion, sugar, fish sauce, tamarind and most of the peanuts. Bring to a gentle simmer and then place a lid on top and continue cooking for two hours in the oven until the beef is tender.
- Top things off with sliced chilli (if you like things spicy) and the leftover peanuts. Serve alongside a generous helping of jasmine rice and prepare to spoil both friends and family!
A winning recipe in anyone’s book
This massaman beef curry recipe is sure to draw a crowd at the dinner table and it’s easy to see why. With slow cooked, tender beef that melts in your mouth, plus a sprinkle of peanuts for great crunch, it boasts everything that you need to impress. Be generous with your servings and cook plenty so everyone can come back for more. Remember you can use a little or a lot of spice based on your personal preference.
Shop for quality beef ingredients online with Our Cow
To bring all of your dream recipe ideas to life, including this superb massaman beef curry, shop online with Our Cow. We supply premium beef to customers throughout Australia. Got questions? Feel free to contact our friendly team to find out more about how we can help with your shopping list. We offer free delivery on all orders.