Corned Beef Recipe
Want to have a go at your very own corned beef? Get into making your own take on this classic dish with Our Cow produce and this delicious recipe.
Cooking corned beef – what you need to know
Corned beef is beef that has been through the process of salt curing. You can do this yourself at home, and you don’t even need to be particularly specific about your cut of beef. That said, we much prefer using one of our Our Cow cuts of silverside beef. This is a cut from the hind quarters of the cow, from just above the leg cut.
While corned beef doesn’t demand a pristine cut of meat, it never hurts to go for quality. Our Cow is where you can shop online for beautiful farm-raised cuts of beef. Get yourself a cut of the best with a delivery of one of our beef boxes.
- 1.5 kg of uncooked corned beef
- 1 onion
- 1 stick of celery – roughly chopped
- 1 carrot – roughly chopped
- 1 full bulb of garlic – crushed and halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 6 cloves
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 25 g of plain or all-purpose flour
- 60 ml cream
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- Place your silverside corned beef in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover the beef and bring up to the boil.
- Once boiled, take your saucepan off the heat and drain away the water. Remove your beef so that you can wipe away any build up on the pan. Place the corned beef back in the pan along with your carrots, celery, onions, black peppercorns, bay leaves and about a teaspoon of salt.
- Add enough water to entirely cover your ingredients, with about two finger widths of water on top. Set to a simmer over medium heat and leave partially covered for two hours.
- Removing your corned beef and setting it aside, strain the liquid into a clean saucepan.
- In another pan, heat your butter over a low heat and slowly add your strained liquid into the pan. Eventually adding about two cups in total but allowing each little bit that you add a chance to boil off and reduce. Add cream and bring up to the boil, stirring in parsley and mustard.
- Slice your corned beef nice and thinly. Serve with your favourite sides and the beautiful creamy sauce.