If you’ve been having a look around, you might have guessed that we’re pretty big fans of slow cooking. At Our Cow, slow cooking is one of the things we keep coming back to. You can slow cook almost any cut of meat and come out with something delicious. But when it comes to the best of the best, it’s hard to go past beef cheeks.
Have a go at this delicious slow cooked beef cheek recipe. Your family and friends will love it!
Why beef cheeks?
Beef cheeks are the perfect candidates for a hearty and warming slow cooker recipe. The meat itself is a cut from the cheek muscle of a cow, so the meat itself is typically tough and requires a long and low cook to become tender.
Taking on a texture similar to pulled pork, beef cheek takes up the flavours of any marinade or stew brilliantly. Most new chefs are blown away by just how easy a slow cooker recipe can be. That said, give yourself plenty of time to prepare each ingredient and let your slow cooker do its magic. Remember, patience is key – and no peeking!
Look on below for a recipe to get you started!
- 1.2 kilograms of beef cheek
- A quarter cup of flour
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 brown onions – carefully cut up into wedges
- 2 carrots – roughly chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic – crushed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 50 grams of butter
- 1 glass of red wine
- 2 cups of your favourite beef stock
- 6 swiss brown mushrooms (halved)
- 6 shiitake mushrooms (halved)
- 12 button mushrooms (halved)
- Take a snap log bag and pour in your flour. Coat the beef placing cuts into the bag, sealing and giving it a good shake. Repeat until all pieces of beef cheek are coated. Remember to shake off any excess flour before setting your beef cheeks to the side on a plate.
- Heating your oil in a large frying pan over medium to high heat. Shallow fry your pieces of beef cheek three minutes per side. Do it in batches and be careful not to crowd the pan. Transfer the shallow fried pieces of beef cheek to a clean plate to rest.
- Add your carrots, onion and garlic to the pan, stir and cook until golden. You’re now ready to add your beef cheek to your slow cooker and add in your carrots, onion and garlic.
- In the same pan (so convenient) add your glass of wine, beef stock, tomato paste, thyme and bay leaves. Bring all of this up to the boil and pour in over your beef cheek pieces in the slow cooker.
- Same pan again! Cook up your mushrooms, stirring until browned and add to your slow cooker.
- Give everything a good stir and throw on the lid. Turn your slow cooker to low and your delicious beef cheek should be ready in 8 hours. If you can’t wait that long, and we don’t blame you, you can hurry the process up by turning your slow cooker up to high – and it should all be ready in about half that time.
- Serve with your favourite sides and maybe a thyme garnish and voilà!